Alpha Home of Earliest Greene County Courthouse
The earliest history of Greene county can be traced back to the little town of Alpha, Ohio, just inside the borders if the City of Beavercreek. Alpha has long been known for it’s historic homes, bed and breakfasts and its historic theme museums, but in 2005, the town received a new addition touting it’s historic significance.
Over two hundred years ago, on May 10, 1803, a log cabin built near the spot by General Benjamin Whiteman, was used as the first courthouse in Greene County. The court’s first business consisted of organizing Greene County, including the creation of a new township named “Beaver Creek”. The name was shortened to “Beavercreek” later. The final court proceedings in the log cabin took place a little over a year later in June 1804, after which Xenia became the county seat. The log cabin that once served as county courthouse was torn down in the mid 1850′s.
The historic marker is a welcome addition to the town that has built its reputation on history. The marker, visible and easily accessible from the bike path, provides a full story with more details about the origins of Greene county’s earliest courthouse.
Story by staff. Source: Ohio Historical Society. BR20060805-01